Saturday 24 October 2009

Bacon, crumpets, and the perfect cup of tea.

Good afternoon, lovely people!

So, this post arises out a total change in sleeping habits - thanks go to the superb salsa party I went to last night, and subsequently the pouring rain that has kept me partially house bound (apart from a mild dose of mental defiency, which caused me to believe that going for a run in the rain, gale-force winds and freak hailstones would be a good idea.) In fact, the adrenaline rush was totally worth it, as was the hot shower afterwards. Discovering that my flatmate had left all the washing up for me and had eaten all the bread and sprinkled toast crumbs liberally over the countertop afterwards was not such a rush, especially as I have a bacon sandwich craving.

I duly raided my freezer, and discovered the crumpets I had stashed in there for, ironically, a rainy day! They are now being defrosted in my oven whilst I sit here with a cup of tea. A very entertaining article from the BBC provides insightr into George Orwell's perfect cup of tea: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3016342.stm. Have a look at this as well: http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm - evidently Mr. Orwell was a bit of a tea enthusiast. It's got to be a Brit thing...

Quotes, anyone?

There is a great deal of poetry and fine sentiment in a chest of tea. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, Letters and Social Aims

Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company. ~Author Unknown

Each cup of tea represents an imaginary voyage. ~Catherine Douzel

Bread and water can so easily be toast and tea. ~Author Unknown - my favourite!!

Is there no Latin word for Tea? Upon my soul, if I had known that I would have let the vulgar stuff alone. ~Hilaire Belloc

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. ~Billy Connolly

You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis

Anyway, enough procrastination - now that I have toasted my crumpets, and fried my bacon and hav consumed both I can assure you that this is so much better than your average bacon sarnie! The slightly sweet doughie-ness of the crumpets goes so well with the salty bacon. If you're ever down in the dumps, please, please,give this a try - you'll be full, warm and contented in such a short space of time (and that's the best thing, this is so simple to do, you'll be a happy bunny in minutes.) Just don't do what I did, if you can help it, and have a craving for a bacon crumpet when said crumpets are frozen solid. Try to buy them fresh so you're not sat watching the oven defrost your crumpets for 40 minutes (like I had to!!) - in saying that though, crumpets tend to mould quickly so munch up fast.

In case you have been bacon-deprived all your life - (you poor wee waif)...

In a frying pan, melt a knob of butter over a high heat (you could use oil but butter lends itself so much better to bacon) and as soon as it is bubbling nicely throw in your rashers. You can use smoked or unsmoked, dependent on preference, but I find unsmoked to be the less salty option, which means that my blatent use of salted butter is somewhat justified, although unsalted is probably the better option. (At least, professionals seem to think so)

Bung your crumpets in the toaster to warm them through (the bacon provides the crispiness here). You can butter them if you wish, (I did, simply because I am a pie) and then one your bacon is cooked to perfection, slide a rasher on top of each crumpet.

Consume your creation. Greedily, appallingly; just shove it down and experience an all pervading sense of well being.

Warm, full and contented? I should think so too.

Happy eating!
Eloise xx

4 comments:

  1. poor you! All the washing up that you have to do day by day with your flatmates doing absolutely nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it wasn't meant unkindly, marie.
    please don't be offended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain... washing up to be done with a bacon craving? Not a good scenario.


    Favourite quote:

    from "A bridge too Far"

    Corporal Hancock: Sir. [Offers mug of tea.]

    Major General Urquhart: Hancock. I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?

    Corporal Hancock: Couldn't hurt, sir. [Urquhart accepts his mug of tea.]

    ReplyDelete